Detailed Transient Multiphysics Modelling of Thermal Energy Harvesting Device
Thermoelectric generators (TEG) are devices that utilize the Seebeck effect to convert temperature gradients into electricity.
In this video, a detailed three-dimensional multiphysics model of a thermoelectric generator is presented. This model uses the finite element method to predict the transient behaviour of the device.
Energy is extracted from hot gazes at 100°C, the present simulation accounts for and couples the followng effects:
- Flow in the fluid domain
- Conjugated Heat Transfert between the fluid medium and the structure
- Thermo-mechanical effect in the structure
- Thermoelectric effect in the structure
This transient analysis gives access to:
- The pressure, temperature and velocity distribution in the fluid
- Temperature distribution in the structure
- Thermomechanical deformations en stess distribution in the structure
- Electric potential distribution in the device